Thursday 10 July 2008

Support crew preparations

Hello blogland,

It's been a while since I posted, but I thought I'd drop in and let people know what the support crew have been up to. I reverted to support crew duties after finding the training for Trailwalker too tough (it's much, much harder than you'd think to keep walking continuously for hours on end at speed!) and despite my initial disappointment at not being able to be a 'walking person' I'm now really enjoying my role. I had my first taste of supporting with Diana whilst she was off training, popping up to encourage Steve and Andy on their first 3 Peaks effort. Cheering people on is definitely not the worst thing in the world (not that they needed it on this occasion, doing fantastically well)!

My second and 'dress rehearsal' support crew effort was a couple of weekends ago when the team were staying at my house to do their South Downs training session. I drove one car whilst Dorothy drove the other and learnt a couple of important lessons; firstly, it's far easier when you have a navigator (we each drove around Devil's Dyke twice before we could find the correct pub at which to meet the team!) and secondly, the support team are quite a handy thing to have (if that's not too egotistical). I was quickly called off to go and rescue poor Andy who wasn't well, meaning I didn't follow the remaining team members all the way, but I was really struck by Steve and Diana's remarks at the end that it's good having someone there every so often filling water bottles and encouraging them, meaning they can focus on just(!) walking and getting to the next checkpoint. Checkpoints are useful for positive thinking; 62 miles is a rather intimidating distance so if you can focus on just covering the next 10k to a checkpoint it's less overawing - especially if you know there will be cake and friendly faces there!

Dorothy also noted useful things we might bring; water for hayfevery eyes, gas burning stoves and so on, as well as some surprise items that she and I won't reveal yet! We are plotting via email things that might be helpful for Team Aching as they cover 100km - although I think general encouragement and hugs (plus water and good food) may be the most important stuff we can give them. My experience of training hasn't been wasted either; hopefully it'll be helpful for me to remember the things that I would have wanted, especially on the South Downs bit I did with Diana and Robyn. Trailwalker is now just 9 days away - and I'm very lucky that I have the luxury of being excited rather than nervous! The team have worked so hard, I know they'll do wonderfully, and I'd urge you to dig deep and sponsor their efforts if you haven't already.

And I'm very glad this time I can concentrate on navigating, rather than driving!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I'm intrigued about what's going to await us at checkpoints now. That means that when things get really tough I'll have added incentive just to reach the next checkpoint to see what's there!