Thursday 17 April 2008

So long, farewell - well, not quite

Hello blog-followers,


I have an announcement or two. Unfortunately I have decided to go back to support crew work for Team Aching. I've been concerned that I've not been keeping up well enough and I didn't want to risk Diana, Robyn and Andy not finishing because they were having to wait for me along the route or because they couldn't push themselves training due to going at my slower pace. If it was an individual event I'd happily keep training because I really have been enjoying it (mostly!) but I think I'd do better reverting to support crew duties. I'm proud of what I managed to do between January and April - I never thought I'd be able to walk 18 miles+ and manage to keep smiling at the end. And, if nothing else, training has given me the insight into what a support crew person might need to be providing - from cake to blister plasters!
I hope those who have sponsored me don't feel too let down as I will still be there with the team - just not quite every step of the way! Your money is going to two really worthy causes, and I'm delighted that I'm now going to have extra time to focus on fundraising (and learning to bake the perfect walkers'-pick-me-up chocolate cake).

As for the 2nd announcement - well, one of the rules of Trailwalker is that each team must consist of 4 people. So, (drumroll please) I'd like to introduce... Team Aching's shiny new team member, Mr Steve Rea! No doubt he will be posting on here in due course, but he has already been put through his paces last Saturday in completing the 17 mile Bristol 3 Peaks walk with Andy. Both chaps returned intact and with Andy un-murdered in just over 5 hours, so many well dones to them (and Steve wins the prize for best hat). Diana's resting her hip for two weeks so she and I got some support crew practice in - popping up at various pre-arranged checkpoints along the route to provide food, water and even tea (the team has to live up to its name!)
With Steve on board, I'm sure that Team Aching can't fail to succeed in July - all we need to do now is raise that £1500. To this end, we're organising a quiz at Victoria Methodist Church in June - but all sponsorship would still be very gratefully received. If 150 people would pledge us £10 each then we'd be there. The widget on the right is looking great - thanks to all of you who have sponsored us so far! Now to push it just that bit higher...

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Ooh, Andy un-murdered after 5 hours of walking (read: running!), that's impressive.

Oh, and if you need any volunteers to test the chocolate cake you know I'm always happy to help ;-)

jenni said...

I'll make sure you get the first opportunity to be in the chocolate cake firing line! hehe.