Thursday 27 March 2008

Training a la francaise

(How annoying that I can't work out how to put accents on titles.)

Anyway, I have just returned from the land of many cheeses and thought I would blog about the training I've been up to! Last Saturday my dad was very keen to go for a family walk and picked a 15km circular trip starting from a village 5.5 miles away from our own. Whilst my family do enjoy walking, I didn't think they'd be too pleased if I tried to set off at Trailwalker pace - so I said I'd meet them in an hour and a half and struck off on my own from home to walk to our starting point.

I wasn't sure to be delighted or annoyed to tick off another weather condition experienced whilst training when it began to hail on me a mile from home. I settled for delighted as it made me feel chirpier, though it did sting rather! My walk was all along country roads and French drivers looked repeatedly shocked to have to be avoiding a pedestrian, as they do drive slightly madly if they know the area. It definitely kept me alert though and I only had to jump into a ditch once, so I was reasonably happy!

My dog sensors were on full alert, but I gradually stopped leaping for cover everytime one started barking at me - partly because every other house seemed to have a canine guardian and partly because I trust the French more to have them locked up near a busy road! I was beginning to relax and get into my stride as I passed through the village that marked my halfway point - even more pleased when I discovered it had only taken me 45 minutes to cover 3.5 miles over some mildly hilly ground. I eventually arrived at the arranged meeting point an hour and 25 minutes after setting off - not too bad for a 5.5 mile walk.

Mum, Dad and Siobhan joined me after a bit and unfortunately brought the forecast sleet showers with them. I had added a new French phrase to my vocabulary the night before in listening to the meteo on the radio - the French have 'giboulees de mars' (March sleet) rather than April showers, and that was certainly representative of the weather that day! Mum's recovering from a knee operation, so we proceeded at a more stately pace. I was pretty much ecstatic when we came across what from a distance we had taken for a donkey but which turned out to be a French llama! I think we should start a llama log on the blog.

We took a wrong turn and as the weather was inclement decided to shorten the expedition to 7 miles instead of the proposed 11. Muddiness underfoot was the only slight annoyance, but I was quite pleased to have walked 12 miles to keep my hand (foot?) in. I also went for a jog the next day and I think (hope) I'm getting better at running.

This weekend, bigger challenges await, as we are hoping to assemble the team together for our first walk (a) as all 4 of us and (b) on the South Downs Way, where Trailwalker itself will take place. As I type I'm plotting a 20ish mile route for us - I really really hope I can manage it. I'm finding motivating myself to train hard at times and have decided that when I return to Bristol I'm definitely going to have to do more than I have been - life rather overtook me in the last few weeks and training fell down the priority ladder! If you see me, tell me I should be running...

1 comment:

Diana said...

'a llama log on the blog'... don't tell me it all has to rhyme as well?!?! That'll suit Andy then- the king of rhyming!