Tuesday 29 January 2008

Training, training, training. That's what's needed. And I figured a useful way to make an entry to these unchartered territories of blogs would be to repeat myself. Six months is a very short time to train for this event and those participating are going to have to be on a pretty strict regime of self-improvement. This is not your usual exercise, but a case of going out and pushing yourself to your limits each and every time you exercise. It's not really about getting a nice figure, it's about being able to cope. And I hope all those who read this training blog will appreciate the efforts that the team need to go through to give themselves a chance of coping with this mission.

If you break down the figures you work out that to complete it the team needs to walk at a constant 3.3kph. This is only 2 miles an hour, but when you look at time for pauses and stops this works out to be the average speed for a days hike. Furthermore, this is if the team take all their time allowed - walking for the full 30 hours. A feat itself which will be most tiring - even if you forget that the team wont be sleeping. Then there are stops for food, injuries, water and other natural body functions! Make no mistake this wont be a walk in the park, the stamina and fitness needs to be high. The hike is a tough one and the statistics make it no easier.

I have completed a very similar hike to the Trailwalker in the past and there are many factors which make it tough. The mental strength needed is coupled with the physical ability to be able to continue walking despite the recurring urge to stop or slow down. So, if you see any of the participants training, give them encouragement, they need it. Alternatively, if you feel so obliged your genourous donations act as encouragement also. 100km is a long way, and even in a team it can feel slightly lonely, so the more people we know are behind us, the easier it's going to be.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Can I just point out that I agree with everything Andy says BUT I also think it's really important that while we need to push ourselves to the limit during training we have to be VERY careful that we don't end up injuring ourselves because we try doing too much straight away. The last thing the team needs now is for injuries to put a stop to training and possibly the event itself.

Each person will want to train for an event like this in a slightly different way. Some people (such as me) would rather build up strength gradually and when I say gradually, I mean over a couple of weeks- we don't have time to look at this in terms of months. This will build up mental strength by allowing that person to reach (and possibly sometimes surpass) attainable goals, which will provide further motivation to go and beat that goal during the next training session, it will hopfully reduce the risk of injury from doing too much at once, and, if planned properly, it will still allow enough training to manage the event itself.

Basically I think that there has to be flexibility in training so that everyone's needs can be met allowing us all to reach that 100km, 30 hour goal!!!!

Robyn said...

"If you break down the figures..."

Hehe. Accountancy talk.

But yeah, on a serious note, you've managed to put it into perspective pretty well.

Must. Train. Hard.

P.S. Ooh, just read Diana's comment above. I think we all just need to remember that everyone on the team is committed to this, even if we may go about training in slightly different ways.

jenni said...

Good grief. Mr Casey has blogged.

But yes. This is what I'm finding most difficult, and why it's good to train with others - they spur me on to really push myself. On my own it's so easy just to slow down, when I need to make sure to stretch myself every single time (though not to the point of injury!) I think Diana's and my training plans match up fairly similarly, which is really helpful for me (and I hope for her too!)

And please do encourage us, if you are a non-team member reading - it's so difficult to be motivated sometimes (though the fear is helping!)