Sunday 2 March 2008

Peaks, Planes, Ponies, Paddling and Pain

Yep, Jenni's got me started on the whole iteration thing (or whatever the word for it is) and we decided there were a lot of P's in yesterday's walk!

We (Jenni and I) attempted the three peaks challenge... although it involved three slightly different peaks to the ones usually associated with such a challenge (for starters we stayed in Bristol rather than venture all the way to Yorkshire). The route we started following was a 17 mile circular trail that goes around Pensford, Clutton and Chew Magna and should have included the ‘peaks’ Maes Knoll, Knowle Hill and Blackberry Hill. After another early start we headed to Chew Magna where we left the car. We had a leaflet describing the walk as well as an OS map and compass... however, we still had a few... issues. We found the lane we had to start on and the first stile which took us into the first field. After happily following the very obvious path we landed up in the middle of a huge field. The leaflet said cross the field so we did (by going around the edge, to make sure we didn't ruin any crops or miss the next stile). Unfortunately, it was only after walking for about 10 minutes that we decided something didn't feel quite right and that perhaps we should use the compass to check we were at least pointing in the right direction. It turns out we weren't- in fact we couldn't have been more wrong! Instead of heading North we were heading South... ooooops!!!! We quickly retraced our steps around the field and headed back down the path (passing a pony on the way). We managed to find the stile we were supposed to have gone over the first time and eventually we were on our way again. This stile led us into a very muddy field and by the time we reached the other side we were both about 3 stone heavier from the amount of mud stuck to our boots!

Unfortunately it wasn't long before we were 'directionally challenged' again! We spent about 10 minutes wandering around the next field trying to find the 'plank bridge'. It turned out that it was made of concrete and disguised by a load of mud! Meanwhile...

Much to my amusement, throughout the whole walk planes had been coming in to land at Bristol airport and I used this to keep Jenni very entertained with shouts of 'oooh a plane'. I'm not sure she was quite as excited as I was though. But, if you ever have enough money I definitely recommend a flying lesson and then maybe you'll understand my plane craziness. There's an even more exciting plane story coming up.... (I bet you can't wait!!!). We reached the first peak Maes Knoll without too many incidents or getting lost. It's a man made fort type thing and there was a very nice view from the top. You can just see the Clifton Suspension Bridge if you look carefully: As we started walking away from the hill a dog appeared out of no where and scared the life out of us. After our adventures last weekend with the crazy dog we were a bit startled (actually, my heart was pounding, my legs turned to jelly and we decided we should both sit down and eat lunch before either one of us had a premature heart attack). Thankfully this dog was really very friendly and didn't try to eat us.

We found a bench to sit on for lunch and sat back admiring the view... I couldn't believe what I saw as I looked out over the countryside.... a PLANE!!! It was a light aircraft just sat in the middle of a field. I shouted 'plane', and even though I think Jenni had probably had enough of my plane antics, she was kind enough to look and even she was impressed this time! A runway had been made crossing over several fields and was obviously being used as a private airfield (there is a plane in this photo if you look carefully): What got even more exciting (it was exciting for me) was that the walk actually crossed the middle of the runway... Ok, I better stop boring everyone with plane stories and get on with it... you'll be pleased to hear there aren't any more!

At lunchtime Jenni had confessed that her brain was attempting to leave her head and was causing quite a lot of pain in doing so. So we decided we'd cut the walk short and head back towards Chew Magna by the most direct route which meant following another trail called the 'Two Rivers'. We reached Pensford ok but then I, who seemed fairly able to navigate through fields, managed to put us on totally the wrong road, heading in completely the wrong direction! Thankfully Jenni sorted us out and we eventually got back onto the correct track. This meant going under the Pensford Viaduct which was quite impressive: On the way back we saw some lambs (awwww) and a pony...
Despite me managing to get us lost on roads a second time we eventually got back to Chew Magna and had a well earnt piece of incredibly good chcolate cake. It turns out that with all our diversions we walked about 11.25 miles (30 000 steps). I think we've now learnt that I should definitely stick to getting us across fields, woods or anything that's not tarmac and let someone else handle the road navigation!!!! We're hoping to complete the 17 mile circular route next weekend possibly with the addition of Andy and a friend of Jenni's, so watch this space (and I promise there won't be any more plane stories)!!!

5 comments:

andreac said...

ooh. Am I the friend of Jenni's? I am coming to visit next weekend and Jenni mentioned some walking.

Don't say I can't put two and two together.... :)

jenni said...

You are indeed the friend of Jenni's! Hope that sounds ok - 17 miles of mild hillage? We shouldn't get quite so lost next time I hope :)

And Diana, the way you described my headache is most accurate - in fact that's what I'm going to tell my neurologist on Tuesday!

Robyn said...

Alliteration ;-)

jenni said...

ooh robyn, I didn't dare mention that! I suppose sisters can get away with such comments, hehe :) x

Diana said...

All I can say is... SCIENTIST!!!!!!!