Monday 10 March 2008

Fundraising and fun running

Team Aching has had a busy weekend of both training and raising some much needed cash to boost our cause! On Saturday, Andy, Diana and I went for another attempt at the Bristol 3 Peaks trail in utterly foul weather - wind, rain and cold. Unfortunately I only made it about 7 miles round as I felt really sick - after throwing up twice (lovely) I decided I'd better call it a day and retreated to a pub while Diana and Andy walked some more. They didn't finish either (largely I think because they felt sorry for me on my lonesome in the George and Dragon with the rugby and drunken men - sorry guys) so we'll have to have another go at some point. It's fairly similar terrain to the South Downs so very good practice.

Anyway, on to more upbeat things - on Sunday, lots of stuff happened! Andy helped to mastermind a very successful cake sale at Victoria Methodist Church, raising £61.13 towards our total (see the updated widget on the right - 16%, hooray!) so thank you to everyone who contributed to that, either by helping or making or buying cakes - much appreciated!

Whilst he was toiling away over a hot coffee pot, Diana and I were also getting hot and sweaty - by participating in the BHF Ashton Court 5k jog. Despite the hideous forecast, it was actually beautiful weather, although very very muddy. At times, for every pace forward, it felt as though you slid half one back! After a rather energetic warm up, we lined up at the start line with those who wanted to run and were nearly deafened by a fog horn signalling to us to get going. The first part was through very long grass which meant quite hard work, high stepping to avoid tripping up. The majority of the event was also uphill so I soon found I couldn't run it all. Diana sped off (with my blessing) though and I was very impressed to hear she'd managed to jog all but 100 yards. I really tried to push myself even though I was walking some of it and despite one scary moment when I feared I was coming in last (everyone else just turned out to be behind a hill!) I was reasonably happy with my time of 46 minutes. Diana achieved 38 minutes which I thought was great! On finishing we were each given a medal (somewhat to Andy's derision) and a bag of nice freebies which was rather good! There are event photos here - if you require proof of our participation, feel free to search our names and laugh at how dishevelled we look... (I look about 106 in ALL of them.)

Next Sunday Diana and I are running the Sport Relief 3 miles which I'm rather looking forward to. I'm hoping for a time of under 40 minutes and I think Diana's aiming for under 30 - cross your fingers for us!

And finally whilst all of this was happening, I believe Robyn was busy being baptised - so congratulations! Hope you had a very happy day :) All in all, not a bad Sunday.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Heylo!!! Just thought I should post a comment to prove I am in fact still alive, after not having posted on here for aaaaaages. Coming to the end of term right now means tests/essays/general busyness. But posting will recommence once term is ended for sure :-)

Great post Jenni. Your weekend down in Bristol sounded very productive. Congratulations on the walk and run and cake sellng. Hope Andy saved you guys a cake for after your race, think you definitely deserved one!!!