Friday 25 January 2008

We Have To Walk In The Dark???

When I agreed to do Trailwalker I thought 100km, 30 hours, over 2 days, doesn’t sound too bad. I assumed the fact that it was 2 days meant that we’d walk 15 hours on the Saturday, sleep, and then walk 15 hours on the Sunday.

How wrong was I?

No sleeping happens. It’s continuous walking. 100km of continuous walking. And that means walking overnight, in the dark.

I didn’t know that.

Something different at least.

I found all of this out by reading the Q&A page from the Trailwalker website. Here’s what it says:

How much rest does my team have along the route?

There are 10 checkpoints along the route and your Support Crew will be at each - ready to help you rest, recharge, change your socks and give you some well deserved TLC. But resting for too long can make your muscles seize up and then it's easier to hurt yourself. You also probably won't want to start walking again. So for that reason there are no camping facilities during the course (there is camping at the start and finish though). So unless your team finishes in under 15 hours, you will be walking through the night. Night walking really does add to this most unique of experiences. The trail of head torches across the Downs at sunset is one of the most magical parts of this challenge.

All I can say is that it better be “one of the most magical parts of this challenge”!!! I’m sure by then I’ll be needing a boost.

So now, I’m sitting here contemplating what I’ve let myself in for.

It’s a good job I like a challenge.

Oh and just in case people are still thinking it sounds easy, I think the route also involves climbing the equivalent height of Ben Nevis and Snowdon combined. (Although I could be wrong with this - guys???).

5 comments:

jenni said...

nope, you're right - ben nevis and snowdon in one 30 hour, 100k mammoth. Scary huh? but we can do it!

Robyn said...

Optimism. I like it :-)

Diana said...

I didn't realise you didn't know we were walking through the night- sorry should have pointed that out!

Andy said...

Headtorches is a bad idea - your eyes don't get used to the dark when you have to look up, and you can see perfectly well in the dark! They are more hassle than they are worth!

Diana said...

Excellent, one less thing to buy- the money can go towards more blister plasters!