Wednesday 23 January 2008

Pedometer Challenge

I haven't written anything on here for ages so to make sure you don't think this is because I'm lazy I thought I'd write a bit about my latest training idea (in great technicolour... just because I can). The University of Bristol have organised a pedometer challenge which I've registered to take part in. Here's what the challenge involves:

The Challenge

  • Individuals set goals based on the amount of walking they are currently doing and build up to a goal of 10,000 a day.
  • Each Stepper records his or her daily step count, adds up the total for the week Friday – Friday and logs this total every Friday.
  • Winners will chosen based on overall improvement over the 4 weeks, not the highest number of steps taken
  • Prizes include 2 x Red Arrow Jackets from Kathmandu on Queen's Road and 2 x £100 Gift Vouchers from BIKE on Queen's Avenue.
So, I've armed myself with a pedometer (buy one get one free in Kathmandu at the moment which was quite exciting) and now have it attached to me all day. Yesterday I tried it out and between 4pm (when I put it on) to 11pm when I took it off I'd done 8000 steps! This is making me think that 10000 may not be a huge challenge for me since I walk everywhere in Bristol- the challenge will be increasing this number with things like running and walking for Trailwalker training. Once the challenge is complete I may continue to log the number of steps I take and use it to try and steadily increase the amount of training I do.

Since there's prizes involved for the most improved person there's even more incentive to get out there and do more training.

Now all I need is some more time... perhaps an extra day in the week, so I can get out there and train!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Robyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robyn said...

Ooh. Colours. Cool.

Good luck with it!!! You'll have to post on here how many steps you do - keep us updated!!!

jenni said...

Good luck - I'll be interested to hear roughly how many steps we do when we run!

jenni said...

Just thought - you should wear it for the event itself, see how many steps you take throughout! I'd find it interesting, anyway...!

Diana said...

I think I'll have to keep resetting it for the event itself but I'd definitely like to know how many steps we do!