Thursday 31 January 2008

Motivation - or List #2

This week, all the members of the team have received a DVD from Oxfam, giving us a bit more insight into this event that we have madly entered ourselves for. I've just watched it, and have been having a think about what has possessed me. But not in a negative way - in a positive one, I hope!

My reasons for entering:
1) I have grown out of my childhood petulance at being told I was being taken on a walk, and now really enjoy going walking as a leisure pastime. Walking is certainly something I'm doing a lot of lately - fingers crossed that the petulance will not return!
2) I have wanted for ages to be fitter, but never had the self-discipline to commit myself to a fitness regime. Having a looming big event in front of me means I have to get out and do things on a very regular basis, or I will not be able to finish - simple as that!
3) The finish - I've now seen several films of people crossing that finish line. There is a video on the front of the Trailwalker page on the Oxfam website that shows one man finishing. All I can say is that being half as happy as he looks would be amazing. (Team - if I'm being slow on walks, just shout 'finish line' at me - hopefully that'll make me pick up the pace!)
4) And the DVD reminded me that aside from all this incredible-personal-challenge stuff, people, real people, actually benefit hugely from the sponsorship money we can raise. People who don't have the choice to get up one day and think 'Oh I know, I'll do a 100k walk in 30 hours for fun'. I'm so lucky just because of where I was born in the world - I think it's only fair to try and give a bit back in whatever small way I can!



I've been finding training challenging of late, as despite what images of laziness my existence as a part-time arts student may conjure up in your head, I've been being reminded by my annoying body and degree that I'm part-time for a very good (medical) reason! It does take me longer to do stuff like essays and reading work than the regular student and so I really can't go to my tutor and explain that this time I'm handing work in late just because I've knackered myself in training for this mad challenge. The unpredictability of when I'll be able to train is also irritating me slightly at the moment, as I don't like taking painkillers unless it's absolutely necessary (though on the event itself I'm happy to rely on them). At the moment I'm still figuring out how much I can reasonably push myself on weekdays (I'm happier training super hard on Saturdays as at least then I have Sunday to recover!)

I think Diana and I got it about right this evening - we went for a 4 mile jog/walk round Leigh Woods and Clifton. We had originally said we'd attempt the 6 mile route we'd planned out on Monday, but due to various things then the time slot available was reduced, so 4 miles seemed reasonable instead. We ran round Leigh Woods and I was delighted when I realised I can now run the length of a road called The Promenade - 2 weeks ago I had to stop 2/3 of the way up! We ran about half and walked half in the end - I'm still finding it tricky to suss out exactly what to eat and drink before and during so I don't get a stitch, which is annoyingly crippling! I think I have finally worked out that anything acidic is a total no-no, I just feel sick which definitely doesn't encourage me to go faster. Another thing making me feel accomplished is the fact that since mid-way through December (when I first started training) I have lost a stone - I must be doing something right!

But it won't do to get complacent. I need to build up both speed and stamina, so I'm planning to 'just keep running' (a la Dory) for now - every time trying to go a bit further or a bit faster. Andy's set me a target of 20 minutes for my Leigh Woods run (currently at roughly 30 mins) - so that's something for me to work on! Something to work on tomorrow, actually. Now, to bed - I've been talked into co-hosting a radio show in the morning. How, I'll never know... Good night, blogland!

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Heylo!!!

In response to your 4 points...

1. I used to be the same and hated being dragged out for walks. Now I love it. Must be something that changes as you get older. Maybe it all just seems kinda boring when you're young.

2. Being fitter is always good. And I agree that having a goal to aim for is helpful.

3. The finish line is going to be awesome :-)

4. The whole point really :-)

With training, I'm impressed with your training so far. Hope that you can figure out what works for you :-) But also, don't let crazy training affect your work. There's got to be a balance somewhere. I'm slightly nervous about how everything's going to work when my exams come round. How will I fit everything in??? Hehe.

Also your running sounds cool, improvement is always nice to see, makes it all seem worthwhile :-)

Ooh and a stone :-) Congratuations.

Um, what else.

Oh yeah, I thought I would also point out (to any other blog readers) that in the leaflet that came with the DVD there was a list of possible health problems...

Hyponatremia
Dehydration
Hypothermia
Heat exhaustion

...I hope they were over exaggerating.

jenni said...

Yes. Hyponatraemia does not sound like a barrel of laughs. Hey ho. Thanks for the comments :)

Have a fun weekend xx

Anonymous said...

Wow Jenni, I'm v impressed! I've been trying to get myself running lately, and although I can do 1500m faster than when I was at school (Miss Hepper would be proud) I'm still pretty hopeless. Maybe I need something to work towards... Good luck :D xx

jenni said...

Thanks Mary :) I think Miss Hepper would be pleased/stunned with the pair of us - I always hated doing that race! Hope all's well, xxx