Monday 7 January 2008

Dedication

Just to demonstrate my dedication to the cause...
l
Today I was up at 7, running at 8 and managed to walk into uni in time for my 10 o'clock lecture.
l
Oh yes.
l
I decided I would try to run every other day in an attempt to improve my fitness. Obviously unless it's raining, in which case there's no way you'll see me running, maybe I'm not quite that dedicated. Anywho, Saturday morning, off I went (with my ipod!) to the park to run (when I say run I mean more of a slow jog, hehe!!). I love running, although I always want to be able to go out and run a marathon without getting tired. Then when I get tired after running a very short distance it gets kind of depressing. But I know that if I keep at it I will get better, albeit slowly.
l
So two days after Saturday is today. And today is a 10 o'clock lecture. A dilemma. So I decided to run before going into uni. So last night I made today's breakfast (a very healthy fruit salad no less!), made today's lunch to take into uni with me (quite a nice cheese and pickle sandwich - if you're interested!) and laid all my clothes out ready. Did I mention that organisation is something that I'm really good at? So this morning I got up (feeling slightly less enthusiastic at the prospect of running, I'll admit) but decided after all the organisation that I had no excuse. The one fact I did fail to take into account was the fact that at 7 o'clock this morning it was pitch black. A slight problem. Luckily by quarter to 8 it was getting light so off I went (again with the trusty ipod!) to the park to run. I managed to do more than Saturday (improvement - yay!) and it was actually quite nice being out and getting some exercise at the start of the day. Although it was blowing a gale, but luckily I managed not to be swept away. All good.
l
Walking into uni more is another of my steps to improving general fitness. The walk is about 2 miles (I think?!), so 4 miles there and back. The only problem with having a car at uni is that it's so easy to drive everywhere! Something I need to get out of the habit of doing. So I will be walking to uni, again unless it's raining, oh and also if it's dark, I don't really fancy walking home alone in the dark. But other than that I will be walking.
l
So there you have my two commitments. Written down. All formally. Like a contract. Like a reminder every time I think about sleeping that extra hour instead of running, or just hopping in the car instead of walking.
l
I hope I stay this motivated. There's a while to go yet.

2 comments:

jenni said...

I'm impressed with the early start!! And I hope you enjoyed the cheese and pickle sandwich :) Am rather nervous about starting jogging tomorrow - but I really can't complain if you've been motivated enough to go alone - bravo! See you soon hopefully :)

Diana said...

Ok you're really putting me to shame with your dedication!!!! I'm very impressed!